Greg Goldman | Fenwick Island Real Estate, Homes and Condos
Smaller crowds and a laid-back feel make Fenwick Island a haven for those who want more privacy. This Sussex County town lies on a barrier island of the same name and is immediately north of the Delaware-Maryland border.344 acres of unspoiled shoreline await at nearby Fenwick Island State Park.
Hospitality, tourism, food, and entertainment are the biggest industries in town. Here you’ll find local businesses that rent out water sports equipment, restaurants with waterfront views, and shops that sell one-of-a-kind items.
The young and young-at-heart will enjoy Thunder Lagoon Waterpark with its pools, slides, Viking-themed mini golf course, and go-kart track.
Fenwick Island Real Estate – Homes for Sale in Fenwick Island, DE
Situated as the town is on a barrier island, prospective buyers will find plenty of waterfront properties here. For ocean views and direct access to the beach, check out the homes east of the Coastal Highway. If you’re looking for property where you can dock your boat, head west to the bay side. Wherever you choose to be, with the ocean on one side and Little Assawoman Bay on the other, you’ll never be more than a few minutes away from the water in Fenwick Island.
The housing stock in Fenwick Island is a mix of single-family homes, townhomes, and condos. Choose from cozy beach cottages to spacious vacation homes large enough to house an extended family. There’s also a sprinkling of lots available.
Because space is at a premium – the town’s land area is just 0.3 square miles –there aren’t any large new developments in Fenwick Island. There are some nearby, however, the most notable of which is Bayside, which is just a few miles west.
More on Fenwick Island
- In colonial times, Fenwick Island was part of a parcel of land called Fishing Harbor. It was bought by a York planter named Thomas Fenwick in 1692.
- The Transpeninsular Line, which was surveyed from 1750 to 1751 to establish Delaware’s southern border, begins in Fenwick Island.
- It was only after the Fenwick Island Lighthouse was constructed in the mid-1800s that this stretch of coast saw its first permanent residents.
- The area first began attracting vacationers in the early 1900s and became the summer resort community that we know it today during the building boom of the post-WWII years.
- Fenwick Island was incorporated on July 1953.
- As of 2014, Fenwick Island has an estimated population of more than 400.
Shop and Dine
Fenwick Island’s array of shops, restaurants, and bars won’t disappoint.
- Have a taste of local fresh fish and seafood at Harpoon Hanna’s. The restaurant serves coconut shrimp, steamed clams,and crab pizza.
- Harpoon Hanna’s Tiki Bar visitors enjoy cold lager and frozen beverages as they watch boats go by or sing karaoke.
- Looking for the perfect crab cake? Visit the nationally acclaimed Fenwick Crab House. Blackened scallops, steamed hard shell clams and jumbo crab cakes are on the menu.
- Catch 54 offers diners the best waterfront views as well as mouth-watering entrées like grilled salmon, seafood gumbo, and buttermilk fried oyster.
- High Stakes Bar and Grill runs a full service bar from 11 am to 1 am. They serve domestic drafts, rail drinks, commercial beer, and wine.
- Shop for beachwear, clothes, gourmet food, and toiletries at The Seaside Country Store.
- Eclectic Fenwick Island has antiques, jewelry, shabby chic furniture, and beach cottage décor.
- For more antiques and home furnishings, check out Carolina Street.
- Fenwick Island Surf Shop sells bodyboards, skateboards, swimwear and sunglasses.
Fenwick Island Homes for Sale – Fenwick Island Condos for Sale
Ready to make the move to Fenwick Island? Check our listings or give me a call at 302-581-9811.